CEN Issues EN 14350:2020 “Drinking Equipment for Young Children”
On June 30, 2020, the European Union released BS EN14350-2020 “Child Care Articles – Drinking Equipment - Safety Requirements and Test Methods” to replace the previous version BS EN 14350-1:2004 and BS EN 14350- 2:2004.
EN 14350:2020 covers drinking equipment aimed at children aged zero to 48 months. It includes safety requirements relating to materials, construction, performance, packaging, and product information.
This standard will be given the status of a national standard by December 2020 and conflicting national standards are to be withdrawn by June 2021 at the very latest. This standard is expected to be harmonized under Directive 2001/95/EC, the so-called General Product Safety Directive (GPSD), upon official acceptance by the European Commission (EC) and by publication in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU).
These two standards have been combined into EN 14350:2020 to give a completely renewed standard with a new structure. This new standard contains several important major changes:
- Clause 3 ‘Terms and Definitions’ – restructured with revision of existing terminologies and addition of new entries
- Clause 4 ‘Description’ – expands pictorial representations of different pieces of drinking equipment and their design features by including a push-pull valve, protective covers, handles, a clip and loops
- Clause 5 ‘Test equipment and tolerances’ – completely new section describing the test equipment to be used
- Clause 6 ‘Construction and mechanical properties – General and sample preparation’ – sample preparation and conditioning have been revised
- Clause 7 ‘Construction and mechanical requirements and tests’ – expanded and restructured to improve the order of testing. New requirements for decoration, inscription and decals have been introduced, and the test method has been modified
- Clause 8 ‘Chemical requirements and test methods’ – expanded and restructured but substances covered by other pieces of harmonized legislation are excluded, including:
- Phthalates falling under entries 51 and 52 to Annex XVII of Regulation (EC) 1907/2006 ‘Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH)
- Food contact substances (e.g. bisphenol A (BPA)) in Regulation (EU) 10/2011 ‘Food Contact Plastics’
- Annex A ‘Warnings’ – completely new normative annex with translation of warnings in 24 languages
- Annex B ‘Rationales’ – completely new informative annex providing explanations for the inclusion of some of the requirements in the standard
- Annex C ‘Method for the determination of 2-mercaptobenzothiazole (MBT) and antioxidants specified in Table 7’ – informative annex has been revised and in more detail
- Annex E ‘Good practice for visibility and legibility’ – completely new informative annex for warnings, product and purchase information as well as instructions for use
Highlights of migration limits for elements in drinking equipment between EN 14350:2020 and EN 14350-2:2004 are summarized below.
|SOLUBLE ELEMENT||MIGRATION LIMIT (MG/KG)|
|EN 14350:2020||EN 14350-2:2004|
|Effective date||By June 2021||In force|
|*Sample considered a ‘Pass’ if result is below the Limit of Quantification (LOQ) of EN 71-3|
For enquiries, please contact our Customer Service team!
To obtain a copy in PDF, please click here.