California Proposition 65 Product Evaluation Service
California Proposition 65 (CA Prop 65) is designed to inform the public about exposure to toxic substances’ presence in consumer products and their environment. If a product sold in California contains a chemical that is listed in CA Prop 65, a warning label is required if consumer’s exposure level to that chemical is above the Safe Harbour Level.
Failure to comply would result in business being issued a “Non-compliance Notice” or “Notice of Violation”, and might result in court case if a settlement is not reached.
CA Prop 65 listed Chemicals in Electrical and Electronic (EE) Products has become a hot topic with the following reasons:
- Product innovation - integration of electronic functions into various consumer products
- Rising market ratio for consumer electronics
- Spotlight of bounty hunter and enforcement activity observed on EE products - more than 15 court cases and settlements on EE products and many were being issued a “Non-compliance Notice” in 2017
- Huge reformulation cost, enormous amount of penalty and legal fee result from court case and settlements
In view of growing concerns of restricted chemicals in EE products, SGS is pleased to offer our California Proposition 65 Product Evaluation Analysis. With this new approach, several limitations (see below) of the current settlement approach could be resolved.
|Current CA Prop 65 Settlement Approach||CA Prop 65 Product Evaluation Analysis|
- Product review and identification of parts and materials of concern
- Screening testing on high risk chemicals based on SGS database
- Board-certified toxicologist’s risk evaluation on positive test results based on exposure assessment and safe harbour level
Independent and innovative, our Electrical & Electronics experts use state-of-the-art facilities and technology to deliver tailor made services that help improve your business.
For more information, please contact our Customer Service Team!
To obtain a copy in PDF version, please click here.