Sustainability Environmental Management System Audits
Environmental management system (EMS) audits from SGS – helping organizations evaluate and improve environmental performance.
As consumers become more aware of the importance of environmental protection, organizations need to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability. Our EMS audits help you to effectively monitor your environmental performance and control the potential for contamination in the supply chain. We have developed a set of audit tools which cover the majority of common issues and can be applied to most industries.
Using it, our auditors can help you to evaluate the compliance levels within manufacturing plants and identify opportunities for improvement, including whether:
- The manufacturer obtains all necessary environmental permits and complies with relevant legislation
- The EMS is applied consistently and with appropriate document controls in place
- Policies and procedures are properly implemented
- Controls are in place to minimize the risk of pollution incidents
- Natural resources are used sustainably
- Action plans are in place in the event of accidental discharge or environmental emergency
- Energy consumption is minimized and optimized
- Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are measured and minimized
- Facilities are equipped to prevent the leakage of waste water and /or chemicals into the environment
Conducted by experienced auditors our audit will evaluate the EMS according to criteria comparable to other management system standards, ISO 14001 for example. We will specify any non-conformance and issue corrective action plans along with a timetable for their completion. In addition we will provide a full factory profile.
A typical EMS audit will cover the following:
- Environmental Permit
- Management System
- Pollution Control and Resource Conservation
- Water Use
- Waste Water
- Waste Gas
- Waste Management
- Hazardous Substance
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Energy Use, Transport and Greenhouse Gas (GHGs)
- Contaminated Land/ Soil and Groundwater Pollution Prevention
- Land Use and Biodiversity
To find out how EMS Audit services from SGS can support your organization contact your local office today.