Canada Publishes ICES-003 Issue 7 for Information Technology Equipment
The Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) has published Interference-Causing Equipment Standard, ICES-003, Issue 7, Information Technology Equipment (Including Digital Apparatus).
The standard specifies the limits and methods of measurement of radiofrequency emissions, as well as administrative requirements for information technology equipment (ITE), including digital apparatus. This includes devices or systems that generate and/or use timing signals or pulses having a rate of at least 9 kHz and employ digital techniques for purposes such as computation, display, control, data processing, and storage.
A transition period of one year, ending on October 15, 2021, is proved within which compliance with either issue 6 or issue 7 of ICES-003 is accepted. After the expiry of this transition period all products subject to this standard that continue to be manufactured, imported, distributed, leased, offered for sale, or sold in Canada shall comply with this issue 7 of ICES-003.
The main differences from Issue 6 are:
- The title of the standard was changed from "Information technology equipment (including digital equipment) - limits and measurement methods" to information technology equipment (including digital equipment);
- Additional requirements have been added for wireless power transfer device (eg. Mobile phone wireless charger);
- Remove the requirements specified in ICES-Gen and refer them to ICES-Gen for all general requirements;
- Removed the override limit (ICES-003 now has only one set of limits) and continues to allow the use of CISPR or ANSI test methods.
- The requirements specified in ICES-Gen shall apply. An example ISED compliance label, to be placed on each unit of an equipment model (or in the user manual, if allowed), is shown below:
* Insert either “A” or “B”, but not both, to identify the applicable Class of the device used for compliance verification.
For more information on this update, please refer to the office site (see here).
With more than 130 years' experience, SGS offers the broadest range of product testing to clients around the world. Our global network of testing facilities, staffed by knowledgeable and experienced personnel, can smooth your products’ route to market.
For enquiries, please contact our Customer Service team!To obtain a copy in PDF, please click here.