UKCA Marking to Replace CE Mark for Great Britain Conformity Assessments
The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking is a new UK product marking that will be used for goods being placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland). It covers most goods which previously required the CE marking.
The UKCA marking can be used from 1 January 2021. However, to allow businesses time to adjust to the new requirements, you will still be able to use the CE marking until 1 January 2022 in most cases.
The UKCA marking alone cannot be used for goods placed on the Northern Ireland market, which require the CE marking or UK(NI) marking.
The CE marking will only be valid in Great Britain for areas where GB and EU rules remain the same. If the EU changes its rules, you will not be able to use the CE marking to sell in Great Britain even before 31 December 2021.
You will need to use the new UKCA marking immediately after 1 January 2021 if all of the following apply. Your product:
- is for the market in Great Britain
- is covered by legislation which requires the UKCA marking
- requires mandatory third-party conformity assessment
- conformity assessment has been carried out by a UK conformity assessment body and you haven’t transferred your conformity assessment files from your UK body to an EU recognized body before 1 January 2021
In most cases, you must apply the UKCA marking to the product itself or to the packaging. In some cases, it may be placed on the manuals or on other supporting literature. This will vary depending on the specific regulations that apply to the product:
- UKCA markings must only be placed on a product by you as the manufacturer or your authorized representative (where allowed for in the relevant legislation)
- when attaching the UKCA marking, you take full responsibility for your product’s conformity with the requirements of the relevant legislation
- you must only use the UKCA marking to show product conformity with the relevant UK legislation
- you must not place any marking or sign that may misconstrue the meaning or form of the UKCA marking to third parties
- you must not attach other markings on the product which affect the visibility, legibility or meaning of the UKCA marking
- the UKCA marking cannot be placed on products unless there is a specific requirement to do so in the legislation
The UKCA mark shall be applied for all Toys & Juvenile Products that currently bear a CE mark. SGS Hong Kong offers various services that will ensure your products are not affected by the new legislations and ensure a smooth transition. Our toy and juvenile product experts can advise and work with you to make the right decisions, from product development to the assessment stage, to access your desired markets.
For enquiries, please contact our Customer Service team!To obtain a copy in PDF, please click here.