SGS Registered by EMSD for Fixed Electrical Installations Periodic Tests
On June 10th, 2020, SGS Hong Kong is registered by EMSD as an official contractor to conduct Periodic Testing for Fixed Electrical Installations.
Electricity is an essential necessity in our daily life. Unsafe electrical installations and electrical appliances may cause fire, and the use of them may also cause electric shock and injury.
The Electricity Ordinance (Cap. 406) (EO) and its subsidiary regulations set out a legal framework to regulate electrical safety in Hong Kong. To ensure electrical safety of the public and building users, the Electricity (Wiring) Regulations made under the EO require that owner of electrical installation in general buildings with approved loading exceeding 100A shall arrange a registered electrical contractor/worker (REC/REW) to install, then inspect, test and certify the installation safe at least once every 5 years.
Upon the installation of a fixed electrical system, it must be inspected, tested and certified to confirm that the requirements of Electricity Ordinance have been met. A Work Completion Certificate (WR1) will be granted.
A periodic inspection will:
- Reveal if any of your electrical circuits or accessories are overloaded;
- Find any potential electric shock risks and fire hazards;
- Identify any defective electrical work;
- Highlight any lack of earthing or bonding
Safety tests are carried out on wiring and fixed electrical accessories. A schedule of circuits is also provided, which is invaluable for a property. After inspection, testing and repair, the registered electrical contractor and worker shall issue a Periodic Test Certificate to confirm that the electrical installation is safe and complies with the statutory safety requirements. The owners of the electrical installation shall submit the Periodic Test Certificate (WR2) to EMSD for endorsement. After that, they should properly retain the certificate for future inspection by EMSD.
Owner of electrical installation include individual unit owners, landlords, occupiers, tenants, incorporated owners and property management agents of businesses such as:
- Public areas of entertainment (e.g. theatres, karaoke, etc.); at least once every year
- Property for the manufacture or storage of dangerous goods (e.g. dangerous goods warehouses, dangerous goods storage tanks, gas stations, petrol and diesel petrol stations, LPG stations, etc.); at least once every year
- Factory or industrial use (single-phase/three-phase) exceeding 200A; at least once every 5 years
- Residential (village house/detached house) or commercial use exceeding 100A; at least once every 5 years
- Hotels or guesthouses; at least once every 5 years
- Hospitals or maternity homes; at least once every 5 years
- Schools and Childcare centres; at least once every 5 years
- The property of the institutions listed in section 2 of the Education Ordinance (Cap. 279 of the Laws of Hong Kong); at least once every year
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our specialized teams of local experts offer a range of services for different electrical installation owners to gain compliance under EMSD requirements.
For enquiries, please contact our Customer Service team.
To obtain a copy in PDF format, please click here!