Seminar: Why not improve your Facility Management performance with new standard ISO 41001:2018?
A technical seminar organized by SGS Hong Kong Limited with the support of HKIE-SSC, The Hong Kong Chapter of IFMA and BSOMES was held on January 10, 2020.
Almost 90 members from the above-mentioned institutions had attended the seminar. In this talk, Project Manager of SGS Hong Kong Limited, Mr. Thomas Ma, introduced a new standard ISO 41001: 2018 Facility Management Systems (FMS), and highlighted its features, key requirements and the benefits of implementation supporting with a successful case. Some impressive points shared by Thomas are recapped below.
About ISO 41001:2018 Facility Management Systems
The new international standard “ISO 41001:2018 Facility Management – Management Systems – Requirements with guidance for use” was launched in April 2018. It provides organization a structural approach to manage, operate and maintain facilities, assets and services in order to satisfy the demand organization’s needs and to meet ever-changing operational requirements in an efficient and effective way. This standard is applicable to all organizations, regardless of the type, size and nature of the organization or geographical location.
What is ISO 41001:2018 about to tell?
- The role and importance of FM in the support of business strategy of an organization.
- The profession recognition of facility management and the value it delivered.
- The requirements of a documented integrated FM system within the context of managing an organization’s operational activities and risks.
- A management structure and its responsibilities for meeting the needs of organization.
- A framework and criteria for facilities management teams where the performance is based and measured.
Benefits for being certified for ISO 41001:2018
Mr. Thomas Ma also elaborated the benefits of implementing ISO 41001:2018:
- Improve workforce productivity, safety and health, quality of life and well-being
- Improve communication of requirements and methodologies among and between public and private sector organizations
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness, thus improving cost benefits to organizations
- Improve service consistency and governance level
- Assure conformity with requirements
- Support the success of sustainability
- Be compatible with other ISO Management Systems for system integration due to using same clause structure e.g. ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 27001, ISO 45001, ISO 50001 and ISO 55001
More information about certification, training and gap analysis against ISO 41001:2018 can be found here.
Mr. Thomas Ma was introducing the new standard ISO 41001 Facility Management Systems in front of almost 90 audiences in the seminar