Guideline Updates for SS-00259 (17th General Public Edition)
The latest version of the Hazardous Substance Standard of Japan's famous S company (17th Edition General Public Edition) was released on March 1, 2019 and has been officially implemented on April 1, 2019. The parts, materials and other items purchased by the relevant enterprise, and the electronic products that meet the specific scope of application must comply with the control requirements stipulated in this technical standard.
When compared with the 16th edition, the major changes include:
- The relevant regulatory requirements for the revision of four phthalates (DEHP, DBP, BBP, DIBP) are as follows: a) New restrictions on DEHP, DBP, and BBP in plasticized materials for children's toys and child care products, its management level is classified into the Level 1.b.) Effective from January 2020, all applications other than Level 1 and Level 3, restrictions are imposed on DEHP, DBP, BBP and DIBP in plasticized material, with a management level set to Level 2. c.) The management level of the materials and components used in the battery is upgraded from level 3 to level 2; d) The original control objects required by Level 3 is changed to “Parts and materials not subject to EU RoHS control, exclusively for industrial and agricultural, or for use exclusively in the open air, but plasticized materials will not touch human mucosa membranes or prolonged contact with human skin”.
- Amendment to the exemptions clauses for lead and cadmium with reference to the amendments of EU RoHS 2.0 Annex III Directive 2018/739, (EU) 2018/740, (EU) 2019/171 and (EU) 2019/172.
- Remove PFOS exemption clauses: a photo-lithography or etching processes for semiconductors or photographic coatings.
- Increase the control of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and its salts and related substances, the level of control is 2, and the limit of PFOA and its salt is 25 ppb. Besides, the limit of single or total PFOA related substances is 1000 ppb (1 ppm). The updates on effective date of the ban on the delivery prohibition for different types of substances is specified. The relevant exemption clause is also given, which refers to the EU REACH Annex XVII Amendment Regulation (EU) 2017/1000.
- Nickel and nickel compound in Management level 1 controlled substance, increase wrist-watch and wristband products, that are expected to be in contact with the skin for a long time.
- Inclusion of 12 new substances to the EU REACH regulation Authorisation List, including Benzo[g,h,i]perylene, Octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4), Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5), Dodecamethylcyclohexasiloxane (D6), disodium octaboate [12008-41-2], hydrogenated Terphenyl, Dicyclohexyl phthalate (DCHP), 4,4'-(1,3-dimethyl Butyl)diphenol [8608-17-6], Fluoranthene, Phenanthrene, pyrene, Benzo[k]fluoranthene.
Update the requirements for formaldehyde threshold level and remove the relevant limits and testing methods for hardwood plywood, particleboard, medium density fibreboard (including thin medium density fibreboard) in the product.
Independent and innovative, our Electrical & Electronics experts use state-of-the-art facilities and technology to deliver tailor made services that help improve your business.
For enquiries, please contact our Customer Service team!