EU Expands Restriction of Phthalates under REACH
On December 18, 2018, the EU published Regulation (EU) 2018/2005 to replace entry 51 to Annex XVII of REACH. The new law contains the following important provisions:
- Expanding the number of restricted phthalates from three (DEHP, DBP and BBP) to four (DEHP, DBP, BBP and DIBP)
- Expanding the scope from plasticized materials in toys and childcare articles to plasticized materials in articles
- Providing a legal definition for ‘plasticized material’, ‘prolonged contact with human skin’ and ‘childcare article’
The EU has added DIBP and expanded the scope from toys and childcare articles to consumer products in entry 51 to Annex XVII of REACH. The new law will be implemented in phases, starting January 7, 2019 until July 2020.
The new legislation exempts certain categories of articles from the restriction of these four phthalates, including:
- Food contact materials and articles under Regulations (EC) 1935/2004 or food contact plastics under (EU) 10/2011
- Electrical and electronic equipment (Directive 2011/65/EU)
SGS Hong Kong is offering a promotion on phthalates testing to help stakeholders cope with this change.
|4-Phthalates (DEHP, DBP, BBP and DIBP)||HKD 600.00|
TERMS & CONDITIONS
For enquiries, please contact one of our Sales Associates for details.
To obtain a copy in PDF format, please click here!