Safety Standard for Portable Power Banks Adopted in North America
Starting from July 3rd, 2018, both ANSI and CAN accepted UL2743 (2nd Edition) to be the bi-national standard of United States and Canada, which targeted to evaluate the safety of portable power packs (typically including portable storage device and jump-starter).
The new standards have below major changes base on 1st Edition:
- Safety components comply with both ANSI/UL and/or CAN standards
- Requirement of external power supply complying with Class 2 or LPS has been removed
- Vehicle Adapter needs comply with UL2089 and CSA C22.2 No. 107.1
- Lithium battery needs comply with UL1642 or UL62133 /CSA C22.2 No. E62133
- AC Receptacle (if provided) shall be approved per UL498 / CSA C22.2 No. 42, rated max. 125V / 20A, and be of double blade / ungrounded configuration
- In Canada, safety warnings shall be in both English and French
- Operation temperature range (charge & discharge) can be defined by the manufacturer and be marked with the portable power pack
SGS NA Listed Mark Service update:
SGS is now ready to provide testing and certification services according to ANSI/UL-2743 (1st Ed) or ANSI/CAN/UL-2743 (2nd Ed). Once tested and approved, portable power pack can be adhered with SGSUS or CSGSUS mark, a strong evidence of safety in United States and/or Canada, and greatly promote the selling in the market. In addition, we can also provide small-classroom training programs for manufacturers.
Independent and innovative, our Electrical & Electronics experts use state-of-the-art facilities and technology to deliver tailor made, value-added services that help improve your business. Our expertise in compliance management will help you make the right choices for different national markets, while carrying out the necessary testing and certification quickly and professionally.