IEC 60884-2-5:2017 – Household Plug and Socket Outlet Requirements
With many countries having their own plug and socket designs, travel adaptors that can be converted to cover a wide range of plug and socket formats are now a popular purchase by international travelers looking for convenience. The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) has now published the latest version of its standard for plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes – IEC 60884-2-5:2017.
IEC 60884-2-5 applies to adaptors for a.c. that are:
- With or without earthing contact
- Voltage rated greater than 50V but not exceeding 440V
- Current rated not exceeding 32A
- Intended for household use and similar purposes
- Utilized both indoors and outdoors
The document also applies to travel adaptors, where the scope is limited to a voltage rating greater than 50V but not exceeding 250V, and to a current rating not exceeding 20A.
IEC 60884-2-5:2017 does not cover travel adaptors that allow the simultaneous connection of two or more plugs and does not apply to adaptors incorporating connectors according to IEC 60320.
Significant Technical Changes:
The 2017 edition of this standard cancels and replaces the first edition, published in 1995. It constitutes a technical revision and includes the following significant technical changes:
- A general alignment with IEC 60884-1:2002, Amendment 1:2006 and Amendment 2:2013
- New and modified definitions
- Requirements for travel adaptors, for adaptors with additional functions and for adaptors with a cable outlet
- Requirements for adaptors with incorporated overcurrent protective devices
- Requirement to warn against inserting an adaptor into another adaptor
- New requirements for the construction and shape of the adaptors
Independent and innovative, our Electrical & Electronics experts use state-of-the-art facilities and technology to deliver tailor made added value services that help improve your business.
For more information, please contact our Customer Service Team!
To obtain a copy in PDF version, please click here.