EU To Amend Regulation on Food Contact Plastic: (EU) 2017/752
In January 2011, the European Union (EU) published Regulation (EU) 10/2011 to regulate food contact plastics. This comprehensive piece of legislation established specific requirements for plastic materials and articles which are intended or reasonably be expected to come into contact with food, or are already in contact with food.
On April 29, 2017, the EU published Regulation (EU) 2017/752 to amend the ‘Food Contact Plastics’ Regulation. This amendment contains a number of important changes, including:
- A completely new entry for the specific migration of nickel to no more than 0.02 mg/kg (Item 8, Table 1) in point 1 to Annex II (Restrictions on materials and articles). The number of specific migration of heavy metals has now increased from 8 to 9
- Adding 6 substances to the authorized list of substances
- Replacing the residual content requirements for 10 substances by their specific migration limits
This amendment will be implemented in 2 phases
- May 19, 2017 for Regulation (EU) 2017/752 (except for the specific migration of nickel falling under point 1 to Annex II)
- May 19, 2019 for the specific migration of nickel falling under point 1 to Annex II
According to the amendment, food contact plastics complying with Regulation (EU) 10/2011 as applicable before the entry into force of Regulation (EU) 2017/752 may be placed on the market until May 19, 2018 and may remain on the market until exhaustion of stocks.
Highlights of a comparison of the specific migration of heavy metals falling under point 1 to Annex II of Regulation (EU) 10/2011 are summarized below:
|metal||regulation (eu) 2017/752 amending regulation (eu) 10/2011||regulation (eu) 2016/1416 amending regulation (eu) 10/2011||regulation (eu) 10/2011|
|Aluminium||1 mg/kg||1 mg/kg||Not restricted|
|Barium||1 mg/kg||1 mg/kg||1 mg/kg|
|Cobalt||0.05 mg/kg||0.05 mg/kg||0.05 mg/kg|
|Copper||5 mg/kg||5 mg/kg||5 mg/kg|
|Iron||48 mg/kg||48 mg/kg||48 mg/kg|
|Lithium||0.6 mg/kg||0.6 mg/kg||0.6 mg/kg|
|Manganese||0.6 mg/kg||0.6 mg/kg||0.6 mg/kg|
|Nickel||0.02 mg/kg||Not restricted||Not restricted|
|Zinc||5 mg/kg||5 mg/kg||25 mg/kg|
|Effective Date||May 19, 2019||September 14, 2018||May 2011|
For more information, please contact one of our Sales Associates.
To obtain a copy in PDF version, please click here.