Skip to Menu Skip to Search Contact Us Hong-Kong Websites & Languages Skip to Content
What is EPA’s final rule?
On December 12, 2016, the United States’ Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had published the Final Rule for Formaldehyde emissions in composite wood (TSCA Title VI) in the Federal Registry, which will become effective on February 10, 2017. From that day forward, SGS, as an existing CARB-approved TPC, will automatically be recognized as an authorized third-party certifier (TPC) of EPA by the reciprocity between CARB and EPA, and can carry out certification activities for composite wood products producers (including importers) under TSCA Title VI. 

Effective Dates
The requirements of this final regulation will go into effect on December 12, 2017, with limited exceptions. Thereafter, only certified composite wood products, whether in the form of panels or incorporated into component parts or finished goods, are permitted to be sold, supplied, offered for sale, or manufactured (including imported) in the United States

Comparison with CARB ATCM
1) The EPA rule is based on CARB ATCM regulation in California, but the requirements will be extended to all over the USA
2) EPA’s regulation is largely consistent with CARB. They have the same formaldehyde emission limits, testing methodologies and correlation requirement of test methods. Meanwhile, the calls for labelling, reporting and record-keeping requirements are similar. The main difference between EPA and CARB is the inclusion of laminated product that attaching a wood or woody grass veneer (such as bamboo, etc) to a compliant core or platform with a urea-formaldehyde glue under certification scope, which will go into effect on December 13, 2023.

How SGS can help?
As both the EPA rule and CARB regulation will become effective on December 13, 2017, SGS strongly recommends all clients to hold both of the certificates:
1) Panel producers that currently hold SGS CARB certificate are required to submit an application for the new EPA certificate, which will be issued upon the success of the factory audit (may be combined with CARB audit) and document review
2) Panel producers holding a CARB certificate from other TPC can apply for our EPA certificate via a transferring service, followed by a factory audit and document review
3) Panel producers without any CARB certificate can apply for both our CARB certificate and EPA certificate for a full set of certification service

Experts at SGS have the capability and expertise to provide a comprehensive spectrum of testing services.  With state-of-the-art equipment and technology, we ensure that your product(s) are testified by the utmost test standard.

For more information, please contact us for details.

To obtain a copy in PDF version, please click here.