The ISO Survey of Management System Standard Certifications 2015
The ISO Survey of Certifications is an annual survey of the number of valid certificates to ISO management system standards worldwide.
In order to compile the information in this survey, we contact accredited* certification bodies and request information about the number of valid certificates they have as at 31 December 2015. (ISO itself does not perform certification and therefore does not issue certificates). This results in the most comprehensive overview of certifications to these standards currently available, despite the fluctuations in the number of certificates from year to year due to differences in the number of participating certification bodies and the number of certificates they report.
A summary of the 2015 results is shown below:
* Accredited certification bodies are those that have been independently evaluated by accreditation body members of the IAF, the world association of conformity assessment accreditation bodies
**ISO 9001:2008 (=1029746) + ISO 9001:2015 (=4190)
***ISO 14001:2004 (=318377) + ISO 14001:2015 (=947)
Please note that during this year’s analysis, some errors in previous years’ data were noted. Results from 2010 – 2014 have been amended where necessary.
- This year we added a new management system standard, ISO/IEC 2000‐1:2011 Information technology – Service management – Part 1 Service management system requirements, after recommendations from international accreditation and certification experts that we consult
annually. This brings the total of standards surveyed to 9.
- A total of 1,519,952 certificates were issued worldwide in 2015, compared to 1,476,504 the previous year, an increase of 3%.
- A total of 1,036,321 certificates were issued to ISO 9001 (including 4190 issued to the 2015 version published in September 2015) a slight decrease of 0.2% on last year. A total of 319,324 certificates were issued to ISO 14001 (including 947 issued to the 2015 version published in September 2015) up 8% on last year.
- A total of 11,985 certificates for ISO 50001 for energy management were issued (up 77% on last year) and 3133 certificates issued to ISO 22301 for business continuity management (up 78% on last year). The strong growth seen for these two standards is likely to be related to the fact that they are both relatively new to the market.
- ISO and IEC’s standard for information security, ISO/IEC 27001 saw a 20% increase to 27,536 certificates worldwide, while ISO 22000 for food management and ISO/TS 16949 for the automotive sector were up 16 and 9 % respectively.
For more information, please contact:
SGS Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2765 3620
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 85,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,800 offices and laboratories around the world.