Event Highlight Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st century
About the Seminar
The 21st century is the era of Asia. The worldwide currency fluctuation, the potentially huge market, and low production labor costs all contribute to the shift textile and clothing industry to this region. Staying in the heart of Asia, we see opportunities and challenges to produce the right quality of products in order to meet the mandatory requirements set by different new markets.
The seminar “The Challenges and Opportunities of the Fashion and Textile Industry in the 21st Century” was held on May 27, 2011 in Hong Kong. It brought together expert speakers and industry leaders to share information on key issues including highlighting Asian regulatory updates and global apparel supply chain network and procurement strategy. Many attendees from retailers, suppliers, buyers, and merchandisers attended the seminar and gave positive comments on the seminar.
The seminar, jointly hosted by SGS Hong Kong Ltd. and the Vocational Training Council of Hong Kong, aimed to help the textile industry adapt to changing market conditions, seize opportunities and face new challenges ahead. This tailor-made seminar offered a main focus on the China, Taiwan and Korea markets and provided an Asian regulatory update for the textile and footwear industry. The global apparel supply chain network and procurement strategy also offered an overview of the global sourcing environment.
From Left to Right:
- Mr. Dominic Yuk, Manager-In-Charge, Pro-Act Training and Development Centre (Fashion Textiles) of the Vocational Training Council.
- Mr. David Chan (Guest speaker), Apparel Sourcing Consultant, shared information on “The Challenges and Opportunities of the Global Apparel ValueChain”.
- Dr. Jane Jiang (Guest speaker), Technical Director of Consumer Testing Services (Softlines) of SGS Asia Pacific, shared important information with attendees on product safety regulations for apparel products in the Taiwan and Korea markets.
- Ms. Zheng Yuying (Guest speaker), General Secretary of SAC / TC 209, also drafter of GB-18401-2010, spoke at a seminar entitled “Introduction to GB18401-2010 - National General Safety Technical Code for Textile Products
- Ms Susanne Sun, Director of Hong Kong Textile and Footwear Services, Consumer Testing Services of SGS Hong Kong Limited.
- Ms Tammy Cheng, Regional Director of China and Hong Kong Textile and Footwear Services, Consumer Testing Services of SGS Hong Kong Limited.
Read more about Event highlight: Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st century (PDF 1.32 MB)
Global Solftlines Development Office
t:+852 2334 4481
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 75,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,500 offices and laboratories around the world.